Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Decorating with maps

I've been thinking a lot lately about ways to take up a significant chunk of blank wall space. Since I moved the new couch in I had to rearrange every bit of furniture, which of course means the art has to be shuffled as well.

Decorating on a strict budget has been a challenge, but the availability of alley-found furniture and discount stores for fabrics and rugs has made it manageable. The one place I'm having trouble is with art. I've seen a lot of creative things done with paper and even coffee filters, but that just isn't my aesthetic. I also can't paint the walls, so I need to throw some color up there. Hence my current train of thought: hang some maps.

The idea of a big classroom map with original hanging hardware makes me swoon, but I'm having trouble finding one. I would use it has a back drop behind the couch and always have it pulled down. But there are other maps that might look cool in a grouping or one their own. And Etsy is a great place to find vintage maps. Here are a few of my favs:


French map of the US from Extra Virgin Home


Map of TX with Blue Bonnets Hankie from Blue Bonnets Etc.


Archeology/Natural history 3D map from Austin Modern


Illustrated NY state map from Holcroft

I'm going to continue hunting for my pull-down classroom map, but these are other examples I might keep in mind. Anyone know any schools that are upgrading their maps?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment